Interactive Spec – Features and Benefits
Application and Purpose
The "Interactive Spec" (German: "Interaktives Lastenheft" or "iLAH") is an intuitive user interface to read and modify specifications in ReqIF format. Both the structure and the content of a ReqIF file are used to build a corresponding web-document, no matter which authoring tool has been used to create it. Apart from user administration, no setup is needed to get going: It is an easy and cost-effective way to directly work with ReqIF data.
- share the latest revision of requirements (read more ...),
- discuss improvements directly at the requirement concerned (read more ...),
- put the data from different authoring tools such as IBM Rational DOORS®, PTC Integrity®, Enterprise Architect®, ARCWAY Cockpit in a common context (read more ...) and
- reference every single requirement from other documents and tools by web-link (read more ...).
The "Interactive Spec" is a web-app using the ReqIF Server. The server's enterprise-class characteristics apply, without that the user is burdened with it. For example:
- The user always sees the newest revisions of the objects and doesn't even notice that the server has a full-blown data historizing in place. If needed, the trace of changes or any historic state of work can be inspected (with a more sophisticated web-app or by querying the web-services).
- Access control with create/read/update/delete permissions per user role are woven into the server and applies to all web-apps. The data supplied and the functions available depend on the role of the current user.
- Concurrent operations of multiple users are handled by means of transaction control and optimistic locking.
Major Features and Characteristics
The "Interactive Spec" is available in two editions:
- The workstation edition is suited for installation on a workstation for personal use. An embedded database and a light-weight web-server are included in the installation package.
- The enterprise edition is installed on a server, whereas the users simply need a common web-browser. No further installation is needed on a client workstation or tablet.
In terms of function, both editions are identical. The user administration is available in the workstation edition, however usually not needed.
|Browse a ReqIF Specification||Workstation Edition||Enterprise Edition|
|View outline and table of objects (requirements)||yes||yes|
|View outline and detail page per object (requirement)||yes||yes|
|View relations of an object (requirement)||yes||yes|
|Navigate from object to object by outline||yes||yes|
|Navigate from object to object by relation||yes||yes|
|Display images in-line (png, gif, svg, jpg, ..)||yes||yes|
|Display OLE preview images, if available||yes||yes|
|Open OLE objects with office application||yes||yes|
|Review, Discuss and Agree||Workstation Edition||Enterprise Edition|
|Directly work with ReqIF data||yes||yes|
|Edit attributes with widgets (dropdown, date-picker etc.)||yes||yes|
|Edit formatted text (WYSIWYG)||yes||yes|
|Support HIS Agreement Process (Automotive Industry)||yes||yes|
|Interactively Write a Specification||Workstation Edition||Enterprise Edition|
|Create a project using a template with pre-configured types||yes||yes|
|Create an outline with chapters and sub-chapters||yes||yes|
|Move an object in the outline per drag'n'drop||yes||yes|
|Create, clone or update an object (requirement) within the outline||yes||yes|
|Delete an object||yes||yes|
|General Features and Characteristics||Workstation Edition||Enterprise Edition|
|‚Liquid layout‘ adapts to all devices including tablets||yes||yes|
|Visibility per attribute controlled by user role||yes||yes|
|Edit permission per attribute controlled by user role||yes||yes|
|Immediate type-sensitive checking of input||yes||yes|
|Optimistic locking to prevent simultaneous updates||yes||yes|
|Permanent web-address (URL) for every revision of every object (req.)||yes||yes|
|Create/Update/Read/Delete a user||(yes)||yes|
|Built-in roles ADMIN, READER, REQIF||(yes)||yes|
|Create/Update/Read/Delete a role with permissions||(yes)||yes|
|Assign user roles per project||(yes)||yes|
|Assign project roles per user||(yes)||yes|
|No setup beyond users, roles and rights||(yes)||yes|
The following platforms plus all newer versions are supported as a standard. The platforms marked with an asterisc* are included in the automatic regression testing.
Java Runtime Environment
- User-Interface: English, Deutsch, Français
- System Messages: English
- Documentation: English
The Interactive Spec and the ReqIF Server built on the following standards:
- OMG Requirements Interchange Format (ReqIF) of the Object Management Group
- Implementation Guide of the ReqIF Implementor Forum organized by the the ProSTEP iViP e.V.
- 'HIS Agreement Process for Requirements' of the Herstellerinitiative Software (HIS), founded by major german car manufacturers
- Relevant web-standards of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- Code of PLM Openness (CPO) of the ProSTEP iViP e.V.
- The feature set available in a given installation may vary depending on the license agreement.
- Before upgrading platforms or application software for production, previous integration testing in a non-production environment is recommended.